Pregnancy & RCC

4 Posts | Page(s): 1 

Pregnancy & RCC

by kitkatdubs on Sat Feb 24, 2018 06:16 AM

Quote | Reply

Well, I am pregnant now 20 weeks pregnant but found out around 12 weeks that I have a 2.5cm sized tumor growing in my right kidney.  I did an MRI and it was ruled out that it is NOT an lipoma.  Unfortunatley there is nothing else I can do but wait until I deliver to find out if its RCC.  My doctor basically said there is an 80% chance that this tumor is RCC and 20% that it is oncocytoma.  She feels strongly though that its cancer.  My father had RCC about 10 years ago so she also feels its genetic.  

My question is about recovery from a partial nephrectomy... I will be having open partial nephrectomy around 4 weeks after the delivery of my baby.  I also have 3 other small children (this is our 4th.)  I am SO scared about the recovery with a brand new baby and 3 other children to tend to.  Not only the short term recovery but also long term.  I am reading about the fatigue and how long it lasts.  I am 32 years old and in great shape so this all has come as a big surprise.   Is trying to breastfeed my baby or at least continue to pump and dump to keep my supply up, too much?  Will this be super difficult having the surgery, taking care of a newborn plus our 3 other little ones?  Ugh.  This all gives me anxiety b/c there are so many unknowns.  And also not to mention, this could be cancer which is even more scary.  Will I need tons of help for an extended period of time or is about 2-3 weeks of help from both our parents enough?  Any advice would be so helpful!  Thank you!

RE: Pregnancy & RCC

by ToddlerFather on Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:51 AM

Quote | Reply

One factor to be aware to during pregnancy and lactancy is whether the tumor(if it is a tumor) is causing or not a paraneoplastic syndrome (PNS). 

RE: Pregnancy & RCC

by jboth007 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 02:50 AM

Quote | Reply

Where is it located in the kidney? Such a slow grower, 2.5 is not terribly large. If it has its genesis far from RV, you can probably wait. .5 to 1 CM per year. 3.5 is still well within Stage 1. What you know can hurt you -  mentally. My tumor was probably 2.5 CM 15 years before I got it out at 11 CM. That was 2013. Stage 2 and 5 years later, no problems after a radical. I think you have time. Best of luck and congrats.

RE: Pregnancy & RCC

by saraa_hm on Sun Feb 25, 2018 04:28 AM

Quote | Reply

dont worry, 2.5 cm isnt that large, even if it goes to 4 cm you are in stage 1, and the recovery will take couple weeks, but you can walk kinda normally you would atill feel small amount of pain in the surgery area cause it consider major surgery to remove a kidney, and my advice to you is to remove the whole kidney and not partial, partial remova l has a higher chance of recurrence. 

please dont stress yourself over it, just focus of your pregnancy and your mental health. 

4 Posts | Page(s): 1 
Subscribe to this message board discussion

Latest Messages

View More

We care about your feedback. Let us know how we can improve your CancerCompass experience.