Thyroid Cancer and Lung Nodule

11 Posts | Page(s): 1 2  Next 

Thyroid Cancer and Lung Nodule

by hallidab on Wed Jul 11, 2018 06:25 PM

Quote | Reply

So I was just told by a surgeon that she thinks I have thyroid cancer. But she said we will wait 6 months to see if anything changes. If it does then we will act on it. I also have a 4mm nodule in my right lung. I’m am concerned about waiting 6 months when she thinks it’s cancer. This is all knew to me. Thoughts???

RE: Thyroid Cancer and Lung Nodule

by Shirleyperez on Wed Jul 11, 2018 06:54 PM

Quote | Reply
DO NOT WAIT

RE: Thyroid Cancer and Lung Nodule

by butterfly501 on Thu Jul 12, 2018 07:03 AM

Quote | Reply

On Jul 11, 2018 6:25 PM hallidab wrote:

So I was just told by a surgeon that she thinks I have thyroid cancer. But she said we will wait 6 months to see if anything changes. If it does then we will act on it. I also have a 4mm nodule in my right lung. I’m am concerned about waiting 6 months when she thinks it’s cancer. This is all knew to me. Thoughts???

What's the surgeon's reasoning for waiting? 

What were the FNA results?

RE: Thyroid Cancer and Lung Nodule

by ToddlerFather on Thu Jul 12, 2018 02:37 PM

Quote | Reply

I'm also not fond of waiting in this situation. FNA on the Thyroid, PET-CT with FDG-18 to assess whether the lung nodule is "sugar-hungry". 

 

RE: Thyroid Cancer and Lung Nodule

by hallidab on Thu Jul 12, 2018 03:35 PM

Quote | Reply

They said they were waiting because thyroid cancer is a slow moving cancer (much like prostate cancer).  

I have not had a biopsy yet.  She said my thyroid is so small it will be tricky.  Said if in 6 months anything changes at all, then we will take action.

RE: Thyroid Cancer and Lung Nodule

by hallidab on Thu Jul 12, 2018 03:41 PM

Quote | Reply

I had a PET scan which was how they found they lung nodule and the thyroid lit up as well.

RE: Thyroid Cancer and Lung Nodule

by butterfly501 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 03:04 AM

Quote | Reply

On Jul 12, 2018 3:35 PM hallidab wrote:

They said they were waiting because thyroid cancer is a slow moving cancer (much like prostate cancer).  

I have not had a biopsy yet.  She said my thyroid is so small it will be tricky.  Said if in 6 months anything changes at all, then we will take action.

If the nodule is too small to perform an FNA, then yes, I do believe the professional guidelines indicate continued monitoring; so watch and wait.

RE: Thyroid Cancer and Lung Nodule

by ToddlerFather on Fri Jul 13, 2018 07:05 PM

Quote | Reply

What's the size of thyroid nodule ? 

RE: Thyroid Cancer and Lung Nodule

by hallidab on Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:51 PM

Quote | Reply
It’s the thyroid itself that is too small. No nodule but have calcification. Nodule is in the lung.

RE: Thyroid Cancer and Lung Nodule

by butterfly501 on Mon Jul 16, 2018 05:23 AM

Quote | Reply

On Jul 15, 2018 12:51 PM hallidab wrote:

It’s the thyroid itself that is too small. No nodule but have calcification. Nodule is in the lung.

Your thyroid itself would have to be less than 1 cm to be considered too small for FNA.

You may want to reconnect with your doctor for clarification.

From what you're saying, you do not have a nodule on your thyroid, so it's difficult to understand why it would be thought a nodule in your lung would be thyroid related.

Best to seek professional clarification.

Good luck.

11 Posts | Page(s): 1 2  Next 
Subscribe to this message board discussion

We care about your feedback. Let us know how we can improve your CancerCompass experience.