Canine Bladder Cancer (tcc)

3561 Posts | Page(s): Prev 12...352 353 354 355 356 357 Next 

RE: Canine Bladder Cancer (tcc)

by CocoTheBeagle on Tue May 15, 2018 08:11 PM

Quote | Reply

Thank you, yes she is taking misoprostal for her stomach as well :) 

RE: Canine Bladder Cancer (tcc)

by CocoTheBeagle on Tue May 15, 2018 08:12 PM

Quote | Reply

Yes thank you, she is taking misoptostol as well to protect her stomach :) 

RE: Canine Bladder Cancer (tcc)

by bcheung on Mon May 28, 2018 09:33 AM

Quote | Reply

Hi All,

I am from Hong Kong and it's my first post in this forum.  My dog "Bao" is a boy poodle and approaching 13 years old.  I love him so much and I must take him to the mountain on every Sat/Sun.

He could not urinate on last Sat morning(everything was normal on Fri) and I took him to the vet immediately.

After blood test, X-Ray, urine testing, the vet(he is very experienced) found some WBC/epithelium cell/bacteria in the urine and no bladder stone found from X-ray.  He said Bao is very likely to have TCC because of his age.  He also suggested Bao to have 1 week antibiotics medication before ultra-sound examination.

After 1 day of antibiotics medication, he can pee and eat and I would say he looks almost 80% recovered.

But I also understand TCC is very difficult to cure and I feel so anxious because of that.  May I ask

i) Should I wait for 1 week for the ultrasound check up or I should take him for the check up asap so that the vet can start medication/surgery immediately?

I am panic and really affect my daily life now. 

Thanks a lot

RE: Canine Bladder Cancer (tcc)

by CocoTheBeagle on Mon May 28, 2018 04:47 PM

Quote | Reply

Hi bccheung,

Welcome to the forum. I'm very sorry to hear about Bao but I am glad that the antibiotics are working for him. 

I am certainly not a medical expert and I'm sure others on this board will know a lot more than me, but I can speak to my experience.

With my dog, the ultrasound was recommended right away to confirm that it was TCC. It was also useful to have an ultrasound before starting medication because after 3 weeks we did another ultrasound and it showed that the medication (Piroxicam) was successful in reducing the size of the cancer. 

Did the vet say why he wanted to wait one week for the ultrasound?

I hope all goes well. 

Greg

RE: Canine Bladder Cancer (tcc)

by bcheung on Mon May 28, 2018 05:10 PM

Quote | Reply

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your reply.

The vet only mentioned that it could be cancer but it's also possible to be UTI(he said lower chance for that because of Bao's age).  So he suggested Bao to have anti-biotics first.  The nurse also mentioned that we may wait for 1 week to see if the antibiotics is effective.  Maybe that's the reason why Bao will do the ultra-sound 1 week later.

I am still afraid I missed the golden time to cure my boy.  Kindly suggest what I should do now.

Many thanks.

RE: Canine Bladder Cancer (tcc)

by CocoTheBeagle on Mon May 28, 2018 06:20 PM

Quote | Reply

If it were me I would probably do the ultrasound now if you suspect it is TCC. At least you will know if he has it or not (hopefully not). 

Maybe the nurse doesn't want you to have to pay for an ultrasound if it turns out to only be a UTI. Other than that I don't know of any reason to wait for an ultrasound. 

Can you call the vet hospital and tell them your concerns and ask for further advice?  

RE: Canine Bladder Cancer (tcc)

by bcheung on Tue May 29, 2018 01:40 AM

Quote | Reply

On May 28, 2018 6:20 PM CocoTheBeagle wrote:

If it were me I would probably do the ultrasound now if you suspect it is TCC. At least you will know if he has it or not (hopefully not). 

Maybe the nurse doesn't want you to have to pay for an ultrasound if it turns out to only be a UTI. Other than that I don't know of any reason to wait for an ultrasound. 

Can you call the vet hospital and tell them your concerns and ask for further advice?  

Yes, it's a good idea.

I remember the nurse did comment about the infection might affect ultrasound result so we have to wait for 1 week for the anti-biotic medication to clean up some of the infections.  But it seems that this arrangement is strange to me.

In fact, I also don't want to know the ultrasound scanning results.  Probably I don't want to see the fact and I still have little hope the result is negative.

My daily life is severly affected. I think I will call the nurse later today and discuss.

Thanks for your advice

RE: Canine Bladder Cancer (tcc)

by SadiesDad on Tue May 29, 2018 01:53 AM

Quote | Reply

Hi bcheung,

While an ultrasound MIGHT reveal some form of TCC, others are not so easy to locate using conventional imaging.

We only looked further when, after repeated courses of antibiotics FINALLY got rid of the UTI and Sadie STILL could not pee normally.

Since Bao seems to have responded so quickly to the antibiotics AND since his urination seems to be nearly normal, it sounds to me as if the UTI was the problem.

Of course, you have to do what you think is best and what the vet suggests.

SD

RE: Canine Bladder Cancer (tcc)

by bcheung on Tue May 29, 2018 02:38 AM

Quote | Reply

Really appreciate your feedback.  I almost collapsed after visit to the vet last Saturday.  It seems that the chance of getting TCC might not be that high.

I will follow the vet's suggestion and proceed the ultra-sound scan coming Saturday.  Wish us have a good luck.

Thanks again for all your information and support.

RE: Canine Bladder Cancer (tcc)

by Bree26 on Fri Jun 15, 2018 01:16 PM

Quote | Reply

How is your dog doing now? I hope everything is OK.

My 9 year old Daisy may have TCC. I took her to the vet a week ago after I noticed a droplet of pink urine on the floor after she came back in from outside. She had just finished a round of Cephalexin for a UTI about 4-5 days prior and it isn't unusual for her to need two rounds of antibiotics to clear her up. She's been prone to UTIs and blood in her urine since she was a puppy and it's definitely part of her records with her vet.  

Her urinalysis showed blood and some white and red cells so the vet recommended an ultrasound. He said there were some "irregularities" in her bladder so he then recommended the IDEXX Bladder Tumor Analyte test. He also prescribed a round of Cipro. He called this past Wed. and said the test came back positive.  I was surprised, to be honest, and told him so, and wasn't until then that he told me is that the test can cause a false positive if there is enough blood in urine that was sent as a sample for the test. Well, that's what I brought her in for and there was definitely blood in the sample they had, so I'm not sure why we did the test on that particular day. So the "positive" for now becomes a "maybe." I've now read many things that say this test is more useful as a screening test, not as a diagnostic, due the low specificity. He wants to see her after she finishes this round of antibiotics next week and do another ultrasound to see what is really there, a tumor or blood clots.  I'll bring her back for the second U/S, but I've also made an appointment with another vet for a second opinion.  It's not that I don't trust her vet , but I would do the same for myself if I had received ambiguous serious medical news, so I think it's an appropriate course of action for my dog. I'm also going to request a CBC because she hasn't had one and I may ask about having her tested for Cushing's because, truthfully, until this bladder issue popped up, I had some concerns about that. 

It's hard. I understand she's 9 and I understand that I won't have her forever, but this came out of the blue.  I don't want her to suffer and be in pain, which she doesn't seem to be right now.  The thought of losing her to something so unexpected is very hard.

3561 Posts | Page(s): Prev 12...352 353 354 355 356 357 Next 
Subscribe to this message board discussion

Latest Messages

View More

We care about your feedback. Let us know how we can improve your CancerCompass experience.