LOW FIBRE LOW RESIDUE DIET FOR METASTATIC COLON CANCER

11 Posts | Page(s): 1 2  Next 

LOW FIBRE LOW RESIDUE DIET FOR METASTATIC COLON CANCER

by Worriedwife1 on Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

My husband is 72, has unresectable colon cancer that has spread to his liver and is being treated with FOLFOX.  He has to have a diet very low in fibre and low residue - to minimise the risk of obstruction..

Can anyone give any suggestions for recipes ?  He needs variety in his food.   

I have had conflicting information from doctors (and websites). I know he should AVOID milk ( because it leaves residue), all fruit and vegetables except carrots and some tinned fruit, anything wholemeal, any animal fats, any tough meat, pork, probably beef, pulses, anything with seeds/pips, alcohol, anything that has fibre and creates gas etc. 

As far as I can make out he can eat boiled chicken, grilled white fish, rice, white bread, potatoes without skins, yogurt,honey, thin soup 

I have looked on every website I can find but many of them conflict.  If you can help I would be very grateful!

RE: LOW FIBRE LOW RESIDUE DIET FOR METASTATIC COLON CANCER

by For_Papa on Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

Hi,

wondering if you got any feedback?  My dad is 74 and also has unresectable cancer in his intestines.  He is on a low residue diet and I'm trying to help understand what he can/cannot eat.    Thanks.....

On 1/12/2007 Worriedwife1 wrote:

My husband is 72, has unresectable colon cancer that has spread to his liver and is being treated with FOLFOX.  He has to have a diet very low in fibre and low residue - to minimise the risk of obstruction..

Can anyone give any suggestions for recipes ?  He needs variety in his food.   

I have had conflicting information from doctors (and websites). I know he should AVOID milk ( because it leaves residue), all fruit and vegetables except carrots and some tinned fruit, anything wholemeal, any animal fats, any tough meat, pork, probably beef, pulses, anything with seeds/pips, alcohol, anything that has fibre and creates gas etc. 

As far as I can make out he can eat boiled chicken, grilled white fish, rice, white bread, potatoes without skins, yogurt,honey, thin soup 

I have looked on every website I can find but many of them conflict.  If you can help I would be very grateful!


 

RE: LOW FIBRE LOW RESIDUE DIET FOR METASTATIC COLON CANCER

by Camilla on Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

Hi,

I hope this is in time to help you out...

I found that I was allowed to eat sieved tomatoes, 'passata' which made a big difference to sauces. Creamed soups were also allowed for me e.g. tomato, mushroon, chicken. I could eat all dairy, this may be different for you. Cereals such as cornflakes and rice krspies are allowed, ready brek for hot cereals. Jellies are allowed, so jams with no seeds and skins e.g. bramble jelly, redcurrant jelly.

If you need more, I can look up some of the recipes and more things I ate for you - let me know...

RE: LOW FIBRE LOW RESIDUE DIET FOR METASTATIC COLON CANCER

by Tenney56 on Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

a search using google and the following "recipe low fibre low residue" yields a lot of sites with recipes, without the quotes

 One site that seems good is :

 http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=31173&ls=o

their is a sister site to this one found on the first page that is vegetarian...

 

good luck

 

RE: LOW FIBRE LOW RESIDUE DIET FOR METASTATIC COLON CANCER

by Dr_Kim on Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

 

On 1/12/2007 Worriedwife1 wrote:

My husband is 72, has unresectable colon cancer that has spread to his liver and is being treated with FOLFOX.  He has to have a diet very low in fibre and low residue - to minimise the risk of obstruction..

Can anyone give any suggestions for recipes ?  He needs variety in his food.   

I have had conflicting information from doctors (and websites). I know he should AVOID milk ( because it leaves residue), all fruit and vegetables except carrots and some tinned fruit, anything wholemeal, any animal fats, any tough meat, pork, probably beef, pulses, anything with seeds/pips, alcohol, anything that has fibre and creates gas etc. 

As far as I can make out he can eat boiled chicken, grilled white fish, rice, white bread, potatoes without skins, yogurt,honey, thin soup 

I have looked on every website I can find but many of them conflict.  If you can help I would be very grateful!


 

Dear Worried Wife,

 Please contact your local hospital dietitian. They will be able to provide you with a complete food list for a low residue diet. This will make meal planning more easy for you! You may also want to consider addition whole food plant-based supplements and omega-3 fatty acids to his nutrition regimen. The value of eating plenty of produce is well documented as offering cancer fighting potential, and whole food supplements are the next best thing for individuals who must restrict produce. The omega-3 fatty acids offer immune stimulating and anti-inflammatory benefit as well. As always, when  making changes to your nuttrition regimen, communicate openly with your health care provider. Best wishes to you and your husband.

Kim Dalzell, PhD, RD, LD Author, Challenge Cancer and Win! www.challengecancer.com

RE: LOW FIBRE LOW RESIDUE DIET FOR METASTATIC COLON CANCER

by Sisterinlaw_1 on Fri May 04, 2007 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply
I am trying to cook some meals for my sister who's cancer is obstructing her intestine. She needs low (no) fiber and is also allergic to dairy. She is on a liquid soy diet right now but would really like to eat more solids. My internet search for low fiber always gets me sites with low fat, high fiber. Any recipe suggestions?

RE: LOW FIBRE LOW RESIDUE DIET FOR METASTATIC COLON CANCER

by Tiffy on Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

That is exacly what I need to know too.. what types of foods can/or can't be eaten when a person is enduring chemo..

My dad starts next Tuesday..  6 months of chemo..(colon).  Can anyone recommend a good cancer cookbook?     I find the sites are conflicting too..   I thought that I read..its ok..for treats to have milkshakes..chocolate..etc..  and then I read in another one...where they should have sugar at all..

I want to prepare myself..before he gets mid way into his treatment..

 

Thanks..planning ahead.. a very worried daughter.. Christine..

RE: LOW FIBRE LOW RESIDUE DIET FOR METASTATIC COLON CANCER

by Mikieshell on Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

 

On 6/27/2007 Tiffy wrote:

That is exacly what I need to know too.. what types of foods can/or can't be eaten when a person is enduring chemo..

My dad starts next Tuesday..  6 months of chemo..(colon).  Can anyone recommend a good cancer cookbook?     I find the sites are conflicting too..   I thought that I read..its ok..for treats to have milkshakes..chocolate..etc..  and then I read in another one...where they should have sugar at all..

I want to prepare myself..before he gets mid way into his treatment..

 

Thanks..planning ahead.. a very worried daughter.. Christine..


 

I have colon cancer, and I have a problem with eating foods, do you have any recipes that will help me this.  My white count stays low what can I eat that will build that up for chemo.

Thank you,

Machelle

RE: LOW FIBRE LOW RESIDUE DIET FOR METASTATIC COLON CANCER

by JuanitaFrapp on Mon Jul 29, 2013 08:01 AM

Quote | Reply

On Jan 12, 2007 12:00 AM Worriedwife1 wrote:

My husband is 72, has unresectable colon cancer that has spread to his liver and is being treated with FOLFOX.  He has to have a diet very low in fibre and low residue - to minimise the risk of obstruction..

Can anyone give any suggestions for recipes ?  He needs variety in his food.   

I have had conflicting information from doctors (and websites). I know he should AVOID milk ( because it leaves residue), all fruit and vegetables except carrots and some tinned fruit, anything wholemeal, any animal fats, any tough meat, pork, probably beef, pulses, anything with seeds/pips, alcohol, anything that has fibre and creates gas etc. 

As far as I can make out he can eat boiled chicken, grilled white fish, rice, white bread, potatoes without skins, yogurt,honey, thin soup 

I have looked on every website I can find but many of them conflict.  If you can help I would be very grateful!

The following recipes for people with colon cancer. The following recipes that may be helpful during the treatment of the disease.

Banana milkshake

Fortified milk

High-protein milkshake

Peanut butter snack spread

Fruit and cream

Lactose-free double chocolate pudding

Apple / prune sauce

RE: LOW FIBRE LOW RESIDUE DIET FOR METASTATIC COLON CANCER

by Here2Love on Tue Nov 19, 2013 04:37 AM

Quote | Reply

On May 04, 2007 12:00 AM Sisterinlaw_1 wrote:

I am trying to cook some meals for my sister who's cancer is obstructing her intestine. She needs low (no) fiber and is also allergic to dairy. She is on a liquid soy diet right now but would really like to eat more solids. My internet search for low fiber always gets me sites with low fat, high fiber. Any recipe suggestions?

I have needed a pureed diet for several years due to neuroendocrine pancreatic cancer.  My gastroenterologist gave me the the guideline that if the food could be squeezed through a tube of toothpaste, it was safe for me to eat.  This was because the tumor on the head of my pancreas presses on the digestive tract.  So I developed many recipes.  My blog of nutritious pureed recipes http://pureedpzazz.blogspot.com/

I hope you find some useful ideas there.  Some of the recipes include cultured dairy products such as yogurt or kefir, but many do not.  

Good luck!

11 Posts | Page(s): 1 2  Next 
Subscribe to this message board discussion

Latest Messages

View More

We care about your feedback. Let us know how we can improve your CancerCompass experience.